Having a healthy baby is what all parents hope for. But what if you wish to go even further than that? What if you could help to ensure the health of not only the child, but many generations to follow?
Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT Treatment) formerly known as Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) is used primarily to identify genetic defects in embryos that are created through In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) before transferring them to women’s uterus thus decreasing pregnancy miscarriages caused by chromosomal abnormalities, births with genetic abnormalities and implantation failures,
The PGT treatment in Chennai at Aashara Hospital is an important treatment option for couples who are about to undergo IVF treatment either for fertility reasons or for the option of having their embryos thoroughly examined for specific chromosomal abnormalities or gene mutations.
How is PGT performed?
The process of PGT requires couples to undergo IVF or ICSI to get a number of oocytes and embryos for evaluation. These embryos are incubated until they are able to reach the blastocyst stage and a few cells from the blastomeres are removed with the help of precision laser hatching and sent to the lab for genetic analysis.
Meanwhile, the embryo stays safe with our specialists in our embryology lab where they examine if anything can be done beyond the superficial appearance of an embryo during an IVF treatment.
Types of Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT)
There are 3 types of PGT
PGT-M (PGT- Monogenic/Single Gene Disorders) is a sophisticated reproductive technology used in conjunction with IVF treatment for testing early embryos for single or specific gene disorders.
This PGT treatment in Chennai is important for couples who have a history of genetic disease that can be passed down to the child e.g., sickle cell anemia, beta-thalassemia, cystic fibrosis, neurofibromatosis, autosomal dominant (myotonic dystrophy, Huntington’s disease), and X linked disorders (hemophilia, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, Fragile X syndrome).
PGT-A (PGT- “Aneuploidy”) is used to describe screening embryos for sporadic chromosome abnormalities. The process of PGT treatment in Chennai is used to test embryos by counting the 46 chromosomes to detect a missing or additional chromosome(s). Normal embryos are most likely to implant and result in a successful pregnancy.
The screening is done to reduce the chance of having a child with missing or extra chromosomes, such as; Turner’s syndrome, Down syndrome, Patau’s syndrome, Edward’s syndrome, abnormal sperm parameters, etc. Also, the technology used here screens embryos of patients with severe male factor infertility avoiding the chance of multiple pregnancies, and goes for a single embryo transfer.
PGT-SR (PGT- “Structural Rearrangements”) known as PGD for chromosomal translocations or inversions is used to test embryos for chromosomal abnormalities and abnormal chromosomal positions and rearrangements. This PGT treatment in Chennai is recommended for couples with recurrent pregnancy loss, a history of recurrent failed IVF/implantation, and for couples whose female partners are aged 35 years and above.
Who Can Benefit from PGT-M & PGT-SR?
1. Carriers of single gene disorders.
2. Couples who are carriers of genetic disorders linked to sex.
3. Couples who have specific chromosomal disorders based on their family history.
4. Parents having a child with a serious genetic condition, but want to conceive again
5. Women aged above 35 years.
6. Women who have experienced recurrent pregnancy loss, and repeated IVF and implantation failures.
7. Couples with a history of chromosomal balanced and unbalanced translocations or inversion
Benefits of PGT-A
- It is used to test more than 100 specific genetic conditions.
- Miscarriage rates following PGT for chromosomal screening are far less than compared to standard IVF.
- Since the PGT treatment in Chennai is performed before implantation, couples might feel more comfortable and decide whether to go ahead with the embryo transfer or not.
- The procedure enables couples who are at risk of passing genetic conditions to their children, the opportunity to pursue biological parenthood, which they may not have done otherwise.
- Offers the option of gender selection and family balancing.
- It is used for eliminating sex-linked hereditary diseases
- It is a boon for a woman over 35 years and who have experienced recurrent miscarriages.
- Treats severe male factor infertility.
At Aashara Hospital, we offer all types of PGT treatment in Chennai as a specialized service forming part of our advanced care where our physicians are fully trained internationally with state-of-the-art technology and procedures in the field of genetics.